At Lambton Primary School, we teach reading through Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised, which is a systematic and synthetic phonics programme.
At Lambton, phonics begins in nursery and is implemented using ‘Little Wandle Foundations for phonics’. We provide a balance of child-led and adult-led experiences that meet the curriculum expectations for ‘communication and language’ and ‘literacy’. We ensure that Nursery children are well prepared to begin learning grapheme-phoneme correspondences and blending in Reception.
Phonics sessions are taught daily in Reception and year 1, and we follow the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised expectations of progress
- Children in Reception are taught to read and spell words using Phase 2 and 3 GPCs, and words with adjacent consonants (Phase 4) with fluency and accuracy.
- Children in Year 1 review Phase 3 and 4 and are taught to read and spell words using Phase 5 GPCs with fluency and accuracy. Children in year 1 are prepared for their Phonics Screening Check.
We timetable daily phonics lessons for any child in Year 2 or 3 who is not fully fluent at reading or has not passed the Phonics Screening Check.
If any child in Year 3 to 6 has gaps in their phonic knowledge when reading or writing, we plan phonics catch-up lessons to address specific reading/writing gaps. These short, sharp lessons last 10 minutes and take place at least three times a week.
Click here for the following information:
- Support for phonics; videos to show you how to pronounce the sounds
- Support for phonics; downloadable information about guides for how children say their sounds and write their letters
- How we teach; videos to show parents how we teach your child specific aspects of phonics in class
- Supporting your child with phonics
Once a child is fluent in reading and has achieved phases 2-5 in phonics, they will be assessed in order to begin the Accelerated Reader programme. Click to find out how we use Accelerated Reader at Lambton.
Our Phonics/Early Reading policy can be found here.