The SEN and Disability Act 2001 extended the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995 to cover education. Since September 2002, the Governing Body has had three key duties towards disabled pupils under Part A of the DDA:
- not to treat disabled pupils less favourably for a reason related to their disability
- to make reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils so that they are not at a substantial disadvantage
- to plan to increase access to education for disabled pupils
This plan sets out the proposals of the Governing Body of the school to increase access to education for disabled pupils in the three areas required by the planning duties in the DDA:
- increasing the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the school curriculum
- improving the environment of the school to increase the extent to which disabled pupils can take advantage of education and associated services
- improving the delivery to disabled pupils of information which is provided in writing for pupils who are not disabled
It is a requirement that the school’s accessibility plan is resourced, implemented and reviewed and revised as necessary.
The Accessibility Plan will be updated in 2020 or when required, and associated action plans will be reviewed annually.
Click on the links below to view the set of action plans showing how the school will address the priorities identified in the plan: